Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Copic Creations "Reading" Challenge

Copic lovers over at Copic Creations have sent out a challenge to create a project related to reading (here).  Elizabeth O. Dulemba, award winning children's book author and illustrator from Georgia is sponsoring this challenge.  Elizabeth also provides free illustrations and has cool images for teachers, librarians, book sellers, etc.  She's allowing us to use her images for this challenge too.

It was difficult to choose from such a wonderful assortment of images.  However, I've developed a recent attraction to fantasy images and found a hungry little reading troll calling out my name.  The image is easily resized for any project.

My favorite bookmark is one that hugs my page so tightly that even as I travel with my latest read, and inevitably drop it, my page remains marked.

IT'S DOUBLE THE FUN!!!  Images, phrases and/or designs can be applied to BOTH sides of my favorite magnetic bookmark.


Here's how the printed page looks. Four bookmarks can be made from just one printed page!  I want to have the image and words right side up after folding my strip of paper so I need to have some print upside down.  I was also able to mirror the image for the troll to face the other direction and just needed to tweak Elizabeth's name/site tag so it was readable.

While cutting the 11" lengths to 2" wide, I had to trim 1/16" to 1/8" from the sides of some strips to center the image and words.

I scored the center of each strip, keeping the "mountain" of the score on the blank side so the "valley" of the score is on the decorated side.  I used a bone folder to smooth each folded crease.


1/2" magnet strips are especially helpful here.  I cut two 1 1/2" pieces to adhere to the inside bottoms of my folded bookmark.  When I place it over my page, the magnets hold my bookmark securely in place.



What color is a troll anyway?  Oh, the possibilities are endless!  Being a mythical, mystical or plain ol' fairy tale creature, I guess it can be any color I want it to be.  I filled one image using some earth tones.  I filled the image on the other side using shades of purple.  I'm not concerned about the ink from the markers bleeding to the inside of my bookmark since it's covered when closed anyway.  I airbrushed a frame around the outside of both sides of my bookmark and adhered the magnets about 1/4" from the bottom of each side.

My bookmark is ready for duty.

Which troll will greet me each time I open my pages? Will it be purple? Or, green?

5 comments:

Nicki said...

What a great way to make a bookmark! I love your purple troll, definitely my favourite!

Nicki, xx

stampqueen said...

Cute!! Love the magnet idea for the bookmark!!!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Love him in purple and green! :) e

Anonymous said...

Oh my word!! This is sooooo fabulous! Sorry I'm so late in commenting, but WOW, thank goodness I made the time to stop by! I love this idea and think you should patent this! Seriously Rose! I love it. Of course, I love your Copic coloring, as always! :) hugz, Mary

Andrea C said...

these are just brilliant x