Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Monday, December 16, 2013

Tag Art with Alcohol Inks and Die Cuts

Ellen Hutson has hosted her annual 12 Tags of Christmas with a Feminine Twist.  Is this really the fifth year?!?!  Ellen and her designers have shown step by step guides for some really fun and gorgeous tags.  It's always a pleasure to see how Ellen's talented team inspires and this year they've shown more fabulous work.  Ellen has offered amazing prizes for each day's commenters with a whopper of a prize for showing how you've been inspired by entering one or more of your own makes.

I've played, got inky, brought out some products that I haven't used for a while and I have a few backgrounds ready for embellishing.

Here's my tag as inspired by Day 12 by Ellen Hutson . . . This tag has an alcohol inked monoprint background, an ornament die cut window, stamped and die cut branches and it was a ton of fun to see it come together.

I put a few dots of Denim, Stream, Stonewashed, Meadow and Lettuce Alcohol Inks onto my non-stick craft sheet.  A few dots of Pearl Mixative seemed like a lovely addition.  I used Sizzix' Bigz Tags and Bookplates die cut to shape my glossy cardstock then swiped that tag through my alcohol ink layers.  Alcohol Ink dries sooo fast that I kept swiping until there was no white showing through my tag.

My small original green Sizzix ornament die was the perfect size to fit my tag and so I die cut a window from my monoprint tag.

I dug out my Stampers Anonymous Letter to Santa and Mini Holidays stamp sets and began stamping the branches along the edges using archival inks in Versafine Toffee, Ancient Page Pine and Archival Ink Library Green.

A few die cut pine branches from Sizzix' Tattered Pinecone die were colored with the same archival inks as the stamped branches.  Small amounts of Claudine Hellmuth's Studio Gesso were painted along some of the branches.

The Christmas Greeting sentiment added at the bottom of my tag was included in a free stamp set with October 2013's Cardmaking and Papercraft magazine.

I adhered a QuicKutz ric-rac die to my non-stick craft sheet then swiped Mountain Rose and Copper Acrylic Paint over it.  I removed my die cuts before that paint started to dry around them.  Once that paint dried, I layed a piece of packing tape over it, using my bone folder to adhere it well.  As I pulled the tape up, the dried paint stuck to my packing tape!  Where my ric-rac die cut left empty space, I filled it with white Perfect Pearls.  I tried to adhere a 1/8" strip of wonder tape between the ric-rac but had some trouble with that.  Where possible, I tried to make a line of sparkle using Sparkle N Sprinkle's Golden Silver glitter.  More Golden Silver glitter filled the top of the ornament for additional sparkle.  That colored tape adhered to the back of my tag and filled my ornament window nicely.

Finally a Sizzix star reinforcement holds some Adornments' blue/green ribbons and fibers.  The sparkling gold ribbon accents the gold from my ornament.



Take a look over at the CLASSroom and be inspired to get inky and experiment while you create your own Christmas tags . . .


I'm entering this tag into the following challenges:
Ellen Hutson's the CLASSroom "12 Tags of Christmas with a Feminine Twist" (here)
Craft Your Passion "Christmas ABC - Anything But a Card" (here)
Simon Says Stamp and Show "Stamp Out" (here)
Divas by Design "Anything Goes" (here)
Cute Card Thursday "Christmas Catch Up!" (here)
Paper Crafting Journey "It's Christmas Time" (here)
Sweet Stampin' "Last Minute Christmas" (here)
Dream Valley "Christmas" (here)
Through the Purple Haze "Here Comes Christmas Day" (here)
Crafting with Dragonflies "Christmas Tags" (here)



"Top 3" Jan. 15, 2014 Crafting with Dragonflies

Ina of Crafting with Dragonflies chose the top 3 and said, "19 -Rose C - Love all the colours and elements here with the mixed media."



As always, I'm so glad that you stopped by to visit!

~ Rose

13 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

Rose your tag is beautiful...what a stunning background you created!

Chark said...

beautifully done!

Unknown said...

Beautiful tag. Thanks for playing with us at Divas this time x

Wynn said...

This is a stunning tag Rosie. You've used some interesting techniques. Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafting with dragonflies this week
Wynn DT xx

happyglitzygirl said...

This is a gorgeous tag, representing the real Christmas Spirit, thanks for playing with us at Crafting with Dragonflies, blessings Hilde

Susan Hogan said...

How beautiful. Love all the work done on this - so special. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafting with Dragonflies for our Christmas tag challenge!

Lisbeth K said...

Oh, this is just so beautiful! Love that you have mixed techiques and mediums, it make me want to go bananas with my alcohol inks!! Thank you for joining us at Through The Purple Haze in our final challenge for this year. Hope to see you join in again next year:) Whishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Lisbeth DT

butterfly dream cards said...

Absolutely stunning project i love it......very talented lady.

Have a wonderful Christmas

fiona DT
TTPH

Pia Larsen said...

Thank you for playing with us at Sweet Stampin' this week.
Pia xx

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tag! Definitely inspires me to get all inky! Love all the elements you brought it. Thanks for joining our last challenge for 2013 at Through the Purple Haze Challenges. Merry Christmas!
Eithne DT

Wendy said...

Beautiful tag...Thanks for playing along with us at Divas by Design.
Wendy xx

Natali said...

Wow!! This tag is amazing!!! Gorgeous playing with inks.
Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin` “Last Minute Christmas” Challenge and we hope to see you again soon.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Hugs
Natali

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This tag is extraordinary! I adore all the levels and layers of color and depth you created. The texture is beautiful and it really is a stunning piece. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog!