Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Layout Challenge: Sassafras Mix and Mend

Here's a photo of the products from the latest Scrappers Cove layout challenge kit:  Sassafras Mix and Mend free composition and fancy free double-sided patterned papers, coordinating Bazzill cardstock, a Cats Eye butterscotch chalk ink pad, and a Sassafras Entwined Bloom.


It didn't take me long to figure out where to start with these products . . . I began cutting, distressing and inking all of the papers' edges . . . Yay!  I'm lovin' the look of an old lacy tablecloth on the Fancy Free sheet and thought of the perfect heritage photo to use on this layout.  Placing Tim Holtz' idea-ology flourish mask in a few places, I swept some Ranger's juniper paint dabber over it.


The lacy feel of the paper made me want to make it more interesting by adding the contrast of metal, yet keep the overall layout feeling somewhat delicate-looking.  I used the Tim Holtz Alterations elegant flourishes die to shape some chipboard then painted over it with Ranger's gold paint dabber.  Ahhh . . .


I feel the need for more metal.  How about a few of the Tim Holtz Alterations gadget gears? . . . Oh yeah!  Gave them a metal look using Rangers gold, silver and copper paint dabbers.  That Entwined Bloom softens those gears just a little, don't ya' think?


A few copper pieces of We R Memory Keepers metal, adhered around the layout, helped to pull it all together.

I needed to pull a little more softness back into this layout by using some thickers felt letter stickers.


Now to glam it up a bit.  Whew!  A few spritzes of Ranger Perfect Pearls Mists in perfect pearl really makes this layout sparkle.  It's always difficult to show the sparkle by photo on monitor but this side view gives a pretty good idea of how the perfect pearl covers everything so nicely with a sparkly sheen.  (If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you can see the sheen covering even the felt letters - cool, huh?)


Pop a photo in place, personalize it with a little handwriting and this layout is done.


While working on family history, sometimes there is just one picture to accompany important genealogical facts.  I found that the vintage look of this Sassafras Mix and Mend line allowed me to record this important photo yet play with techniques, products and design elements.  I just had too much fun mixing this layout up!

No comments: