Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Using Copics with Embossing Powder

I like using embossing powder (EP) over stamped images. I like how colored ink becomes more vibrant when embossed with clear EP. I like the look of variegated and enhanced EP, some with glitter inside for some extra glam. I really like how the simple shine of slightly raised lines makes my stamped images look special. Using EP for emboss resist is fun too.

Here, Doegy the Dragon was stamped with Versafine pigment ink, embossed with black detail embossing powder, then filled using Copics. The Pear image, stamped with Memento Cottage Ivy, was embossed with clear embossing powder then filled using Copics. The embossed image lines remain slightly raised and shiny.


During a recent Copic class, as we began discussing use of Copics with embossing powder, a student remarked that she heard that Copic markers “eat” embossing powder. I found that to be interesting. I’ve been able to use embossing powders and Copics together to create some really nice backgrounds and completed images and haven’t found my embossing powders to suffer from hungry Copics.

So, I decided to try some different brands and colors of EP to find out what happens.

I heat-embossed the same leaf image using six different brands and colors of embossing powder. For consistency, all images were stamped using Versa-Mark on Bazzill Smooth cardstock, and then I used Copic marker colors Y04 and Y08. On the right side of each image, I deliberately dragged the marker tip over an embossed area and every time the marker smeared the color of embossing powder. In all cases, the embossed lines that the marker touched were no longer raised and the sheen of the embossing powder was removed. On the left side of each image, I was careful to avoid touching the marker tip to the embossed lines. I found that as long as I avoided dragging the marker tip over the embossed lines, I could fill my image without any ill effects.

So, there you have it. If the marker tip touches the embossed areas, the color of the embossing powder will smear into your image. Just for fun, I held the marker tip over an embossed line for a few moments and when I removed it, the embossing powder appeared to have a “bite out of it.” LOL!!! Despite my findings, I think I’ll keep using Copics with embossing powder, albeit very carefully, on open images. You can too. I think the answer is very simple:  If the Copic marker tip, when held in place over the embossed lines, “eats” the embossing, then don’t do that. LOL!!!

To use Copic markers to fill images that have been heat-embossed – Fill the image using your favorite technique. Remember that even though the embossed lines are raised slightly over the paper, color can still bleed and feather beneath these lines. Be kind to your image and avoid dragging the marker tip over the embossed lines as the alcohol in the marker may react with the embossing and cause colored streaks throughout your image. All in all, alcohol-based Copic markers can work beautifully with heat-embossed images when applied properly.

To use Copic markers for Embossing Powder Resist - Heat-emboss an image using clear or white detail embossing powder. Apply dark marker color to cover the entire area (by quickly swiping chisel tip directly on paper or airbrushing). Dampen paper towel with colorless blender. While the colored area is still wet, wipe over the embossed area with a smooth section of the dampened paper towel. Swipe the towel softly over the embossed area to avoid scratches in the colored area. The colorless blender removes color from the resist areas. As the colored area and the colorless blender solution dry, the colored area may show signs of a marbling texture.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting experiment Rose, will have to keep this in mind, right now i have not been doing too much embossing, don't know why, I like the look better, just being lazy I think!!
Good to see you at the Expo.
Donna

Naudja said...

Hi Rose, this information regarding the embossing and coloring with Copics was extremely helpful. Thank you for the posting it.

Laura said...

Best discussion of this topic on line! Thanks Rose.