Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Friday, November 12, 2010

Layout Challenge: Suspended Frame in a Wreath of Bo-Bunny Olivia

I love the results of suspending a frame in a wreath of die cut chipboard pieces.  The latest Scrappers Cove layout challenge kit provided the perfect supplies for such dimension.

Here's the products included in the kit:  Bo-Bunny's Olivia Stripe and Ambrosia double-sided heavy weight paper, green and rust Bazzill cardstock, a weaved/braided shapable ribbon, a pack of BazzillBasicsPaper walnut self adhesive jewels, a large sugar coated brad and two die cut curling roses.


I used the Sizzix Flower Layers #5 to die cut nine small and nine large flowers out of medium weight chipboard.  I also used the Sizzix Rectangle Frame to die cut one chipboard frame.


Using the same Sizzix flower die, I cut a variety of flower shapes from both sides of the patterned paper and some of the cardstock.  I adhered the paper to the chipboard then sanded and inked the edges.


Temporarily placing the frame in the center of the background page allowed me to align these flowers into a wreath surrounding the frame.  A 3/4" striped border on each side of the layout helps to anchor the wreath.  I adhered all of the flowers using glossy accents then set the frame aside.


Using an xacto knife, I cut out the center of the background page, leaving a small border around the inside edges.  I saved the center piece to use for diecutting the frame's cover.  That was sanded and inked too.


It's easy to adhere a piece of transparency to the back of the layout, creating a clear inside layer.  Glossy Accents secured the chipboard frame to the front of the transparency.  Any 3" x 4" photo can be placed on the back of the transparency.  I used a portrait photo here but a turn of the layout easily allows for a landscape shot.

I applied a jewel to the center of each flower and aligned five jewels to the upper left corner of the frame.  I used the weaved/braided shapable ribbon to create a bow and adhered it to the frame bottom using glossy accents.  I used my slotted quilling tool to curl the roses, secured them to the base (included at the center of the die cut), and airbrushed each with Copic E19.

Here's the completed layout that shows a frame suspended in the wreath.


This layout will be placed in an album so I'm not paying attention to the back of the page.  When a similar layout with a suspended frame in a wreath will be displayed on an easel, I have traced the opening from the front onto another cardstock to use as a back page to hide the adhered transparency.  Another chipboard frame for the back will allow room for another photo or a place for extra journaling.

1 comment:

Maire Gamber said...

What a cute and creative idea!