Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Canvas Tag Art - Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of Christmas

Each December, for the past few years, I've eagerly awaited Tim Holtz' daily blog posts for his 12 Tags of Christmas.  I have alot of completed, full-sized tags, sitting in a drawer, ready to reference for technique reminders and artsy inspiration.

This year I felt a little more free-spirited and decided to create my tags using another art form that I learned from Tim last March:  Canvas Tag Art.

I prepped a 12x12 canvas with spritzes of water then added Smooch from my stash.  A light coating of Glimmer Mist helped add some sparkle to the canvas.  When dried, I adhered some of Tim's metal corners.
Canvas spritzed with Smooch and Glimmer Mist
Using a single sheet of Bazzill Extra Thick cardstock, I cut 12 tags in a variety of sizes to fit onto this canvas.

Only after Tim posted his final tag, I began planning how to best showcase them on my canvas.  Since my tags were cut in a variety of sizes with different orientations, I did my best to choose the correct tag to meet the highlighted technique of each of Tim's versions.  There was a lot of thinking to do about how I could make it work but I sure didn't hurt myself trying - LOL!!!  I don't even have any tags in my dud pile caused by re-dos.  I'm happy about that!

Here's my version of 2010's Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of Christmas, all combined on a Canvas Tag Art layout that's ready to be displayed on the wall.  Yay!!!  This is my submission for the Scrappers Cove Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas contest.  Find the Scrappers Cove newsletter here.

Canvas Tag Art - 2010's Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of Christmas
I think each tag showcases Tim's highlighted technique of the day.  I did have to tweak, make adjustments and substitute in some areas with products that I already had in my supply stash.  Although the baubles and adornments that usually hang from the ribbon secured through the tag holes are missing, I don't think that takes anything away from the basic content of the techniques displayed.

Die cuts are still my favorite form of paper crafting.  Something about the ease of diecutting cool shapes makes me happy.  Cutting cool shapes out of many different materials makes me feel like jumping up and down!
Tag 1 - Rickety House
I love to add metal to my projects.  Most of my projects just don't feel "done" unless there's some metal somewhere, even if it's just a brad.
Tag 9 - Paper Rosette
I tend to avoid using packaged flowers but I do love to make my own.

Tag 7 - Poinsettia
Stamping techniques are totally awesome to me:  inking, masking, and embossing make me step back and admire the simple coolness.
Tag 2 - Custom Ink Pad
Thank you Tim for your thoughtfulness and generosity in sharing yet another December with me, teaching and inspiring creativity, in so many ways.

No comments: