Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Copic Creations Animals Challenge

Within my arsenal of tools that are oh-so-handy for using with Copic markers is a nasty rag.  My nasty rag started out as a 4" square piece of a thick, white, terry washcloth that had nice, long fibers.  It didn't get really nasty-looking until I used it several times with various dark colored Copics.  I haven't cleaned or replaced it and it continues to do its job well.  I wrap that little piece of rag around my fingertip, swipe the marker across the fiber ends, and begin dabbing the texture onto my project.  The Nasty Rag Technique provides animal images with the hairy, furry and fuzzy texture needed for a more realistic look.  I can dab and twist for some swirly, curly fur or drag it slightly for some longer fur.  I can also dab more in places to create darker, more shaded areas.  (Find out more about the Nasty Rag Technique at Marianne Walker's blog here.)

The latest Copic Creations Challenge:  Copic coloring of animals (find the challenge here) lured me in with another chance to use one of my favorite techniques for creating furry texture.  Hambo Stamps is the sponsor of this challenge.  They have some funny animal images and sayings to add some humor to your papercrafting projects.  I chose to use a funny image and saying from Stamps by Judith that I already had in my stamp collection.

I had alot of fun creating this easel card to submit for this challenge.  I really wanted the focus to be on the trash can bear so I tried to keep the rest of the card very neutral and soft.

I cut out the complete trash can bear image, colored all areas and added texture to the bear's fur using the Nasty Rag technique.  From a second image, I cut out a trash can and both smaller cans then colored them.  I adhered the cans to the full image with pop-dots.  When I applied a coating of glossy accents to add some great solid shine to the cans, I was very happy to find that the glossy accents did not react with the Copic color to change it in any way.

I scored and folded a 4 1/2" x 8" piece of cardstock, then placing the fold near but not over the edge of the scalloped rectangle die, I cut a card (to be the base and easel).  I scored and folded the top half of that card (to be my easel) and adhered a separate, single die cut scalloped rectangle to the top half only of that folded card area (to be my front panel).  I used pop-dots to adhere the saying to the base of the card so it'll block the card front from sliding forward.  I adhered a little vintage patterned paper and tied a hemp cord to the card front.  Finally I adhered the completed trash can bear image directly to the card front.

This completed easel card is just 4" wide x 3 1/2" tall and there's plenty of room inside for a gift card or additional sentiment.  With the built-in easel, it's perfect for displaying cool, handmade cards.


Supplies Used:
Lg. Trash Can Bear and Looking Everywhere, Stamps by Judith
Spellbinders scalloped rectangle dies
Hemp cord
Bear:  E31, E35, E47 (nasty rag)
Trash Can:  C3, C5, C7
Small Cans:  C3 faded with C00
Labels:  G19 faded with G00; E19 faded with E02

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Card Rose, and great description on how you did it, if I wanted to do this card, I would not have a problem following your directions.

Love the story on the NASTY rag, still have mine!! I have used this technique a few times and also with other materials for different textured look.
Thanks for all the great tips and ideas.

Love your class's!

See you in July.
Donna

Barbara said...

I love your blog Rose!!! Just wanted you to know I visited ;-) See you soon.

-barb-

Heather said...

Oh what a fun card, love the image and complimentary sentiment.
Thanks for playing along with us at Copic Creations.
hugs Heather xx