Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Copic Technique: Opaque White

Copic’s Opaque White is a thick white acrylic water-based paint, that doesn’t get the attention it deserves. It’s a fabulous addition to your completed Copic projects. Use it, with a size 0 spotter or liner paintbrush, to apply highlights and return some of the gleam back to your images. This thick paint can easily be thinned to an ink-like consistency, by adding a little water and mixing on your non-stick craft sheet. If left a little thicker, then it can leave a slightly raised finish to your work that creates added dimension.

Opaque White is best used over Copic markers. Do NOT use marker tips over Opaque White. It has been proven that this will clog the pores of your marker tips and cause damage to them.

I've included some close-up shots from class samples where we apply Opaque White to our images.  Adding that white can make all the difference where extra fine detail is needed.

When certain areas of your images have been covered by color, return the highlights and glints to your image by adding Opaque White. Add snow by painting an x over a + (*) or just add little round snowflakes by holding the paint brush tip in place over an area until the white paint marks your paper. (Imagine a starry night scene. It would be cumbersome and possibly cause streaking to try to fill the image using markers around each and every star. Instead, you can cover the entire area with normal coloring then add the stars back in using the Opaque White.)

Use a Copic Colorless Blender to create faded drops on flowers then add a glint of white at the top of that drop to create a dew drop. Add a tiny shadow to the bottom of the drop with a coordinating superfine tip multiliner for a more realistic look.

Use Opaque White to make whites their whitest and add contrast back in. Adding dots of white on the sides of icicles helps to make the image appear to catch and reflect light. The lumps on the sides of the icicle make it look brighter or like glistening drops of water. The dots help to break up the lines and make them look more natural and realistic.


Add a few diagonal stripes of Opaque White to a window’s glass to make it appear to be more shiny.


Put snow caps on mountains. Add snow dust on pine tree branches, wreathes and roof tops. Add shiny glint to your balloons and fruit. Make your clouds just a little fluffier with a hint of the whitest white. Add some texture to your angel’s or dove’s (or chicken's?!?!) wings. Give your favorite man in the red suit some authentic old, gray hair.


I’ve tried substituting with Ranger’s Inkssentials opaque white pen and Claudine Hellmuth’s Studio blank canvas acrylic paint. While I love using those products on other projects, I'll turn to Copic's Opaque White whenever I need the best finishing touch for my Copic project.  Experiment to see which you like best.  Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed using it in class, have to get butt to store to buy some to play with it and experiment, will get back to you on it on how I make out.
Great write up, enjoyed reading it !!

Celeste said...

This is great, never knew this product existed.